You don’t know me, but I do. Right?
The thought crossed my mind recently while I was shopping with one of my oldest friends.
She had met a guy and they were texting back and forth, sharing details about themselves. While I browsed through shoes (by far my favorite item to shop for) she would look at her phone, type something in and then repeat their conversation aloud.
It was about 20 texts about their likes and dislikes.
I started to think – if I was having a conversation with someone who didn’t know me, what would I say about myself? The truth is I didn’t know.
In a nutshell my days revolve around two things – my job and my son. I spend my time around people who know me from work, who know my family, and people I have grown up around. I am a reporter, too. So when I do meet a new person I usually find out more about them than they do about me.
However, just because my main focuses are The Wilson Post and baby J.R. – doesn’t mean I don’t have other interests, hobbies and goals of my own.
I decided to sit down, make a list of 50 things about me and get to know myself better. I would encourage others to do the same! Here is what it said:
- I love getting dressed up.
- I love eating seafood.
- I don’t cook.
- I like cookouts.
- I like to shop for shoes.
- Now that I’m a mom most of my shopping gets done online.
- I like to watch movies at home.
- I don’t get to watch movies at home anymore since the Disney Junior Channel has taken over with Doc McStuffins and Jake and the Neverland Pirates.
- I try to face my fears when I can – like the day I held a boa constrictor.
- I’m still terribly afraid of mice, frogs and horses. It is unlikely that those fears will be faced.
- You can tell a lot about how I’m feeling based on my toenail polish color.
- My toenails are always polished.
- I felt beautiful when I was pregnant.
- I take selfies everywhere I go. I taught a World War II Veteran and my former second grade teacher about selfies.
- I like music by GNR, Carrie Underwood, Luke Bryan, Loretta Lynn, Jason Aldean and Kanye West. And Cher, at karaoke night.
- Vegas is my favorite place.
- I don’t tan.
- iPhone apps are a foreign concept to me.
- I still don’t know how to sell things on eBay.
- In high school I was a member of the Chess Team and so proud of it that I had the “Queen” symbol put on my class ring! Oh Yeah!
- I also cheered, was in show choir and joined as many clubs as I could to have more pictures in the yearbook.
- 75 % of my closet consists of black colored clothing.
- I get it from my mama.
- I love big family functions. Even if it is with someone else’s family.
- My short term goal is to have a yard sale.
- My long term goal is to write a book.
- If I was married, I’d want to be a TV Housewife ;)
- I believe in doing whatever it takes to feel your best.
- If someone mistreats me I’ll turn the other cheek.
- If someone mistreats someone I love, I’ll give them the verbal beat down they deserve.
- I’m a perfume-addict.
- I’m interested in politics.
- I’d like to learn how to shoot.
- In the second grade I told my mom that my dream job was to be President.
- Being in a music video, getting lost in Margaritaville and line dancing in Texas are on my bucket list.
- I lost my bucket list and can only remember those three things.
- Holly Madison is my beauty idol.
- Pamela Garrett is my hero, my best friend and the most interesting person I know!
- I like to go on walks outside or on the treadmill.
- I love to dance!
- I have trouble with math.
- I admire people who tell it like it is.
- When someone from my hometown succeeds I take great pride in it too.
- I have a library card and actually use it!
- Flowers make me happy.
- I graduated from Cumberland University and received the Student Service Award.
- In college I was a member of Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society and represented them on the Homecoming Court. Yay tiaras!
- I won a Tennessee Press Award in 2012 for Best Single Feature. Second place isn’t bad!
- I once interned on Dr. Joe Bryant’s Morning Show and regrettably said on-air that LP Field could hold 90,000 fans.
- Sometimes I think coffee is my only ally.