Central 14, LaVergne 7

By Kenneth Schott

LAVERGNE--Wilson Central¹s first two offensive plays against La Vergne were handoffs to Cody Clawson, and both of them resulted in touchdowns.

In the Region 4-5A matchup, the visiting Wildcats went on and defeated the Wolverines 14-7 Friday night, in LaVergne¹s final home game of the season.

After recovering a LaVergne fumble to stop the Wolverines’ opening drive, the Wildcats took over at the 44. Quarterback Kelton Stewart pitched the ball to Clawson, and he made it look easy. He went 56 yards untouched for the score.

The Wildcats hemmed the Wolverines in at their 10 on the following kickoff, and on third down, La Vergne quarterback Landon Grooms was sacked inside his own one. La Vergne punter Callib Zielinski had to punt from the back of his end zone. The punt was partially blocked, and the Wildcats took over at the eight.

Central’s Stewart pitched it to Clawson, and he scored again sprinting to the corner of the end zone to give Wilson Central a 14-0 advantage.

The Wolverines scored later in the first quarter, going 65 yards in nine plays. Grooms hit Ryan McBee for 40 yards on a bomb, setting La Vergne up inside the 10. On fourth and goal from the three, the Wolverines went for it, and Grooms took it into the option on the quarterback keeper. The score remained 14-7 throughout the rest of the game.

Due to the poor weather conditions, players on both teams had trouble with their footing and neither could maintain any consistency on offense.

Clawson and Jordan Poole had a powerful one-two punch for Wilson Central. They each had over 100 yards - Poole had 113, Clawson 109. The Wildcats had a total of 261 rushing yards in the game. But twice, the Wolverines stopped Wilson Central’s running backs on fourth-down conversions.

The Wolverines also forced three Central punts and had an interception.

"You’ve got to hand it to La Vergne, they really played hard and battled," said Wilson Central coach Traye Aric.

"The scoreboard clock malfunctioned, and the time was kept on the field by the referees throughout the game. It was hard because we had to keep asking the referees how much time was on the clock," said LaVergne head coach Will Hester.

"But that wasn’t that much of a factor, it wasn¹t the reason we lost."