Chlorine leak at Lebanon wastewater plant forces road closure
LFD and the HazMat team were called, and Weeks said two HazMat personnel entered the building to turn off the valve. The two individuals then underwent decontamination.
“All the chlorine cloud has dissipated,” Weeks said, adding that Hartmann Drive was expected to be reopened in a short time.
The Centers for Disease Control’s website said when chlorine liquid is released, it turns into a gas that stays close to the ground and spreads quickly. Chlorine gas can be recognized by its strong, irritating odor which smells like bleach.
The CDC noted chlorine is used in drinking water and swimming pool water to kill bacteria that is harmful. Chlorine is also used as part of the sanitation process for industrial waste and sewage.
Exposure to chlorine gas or liquid can result in respiratory problems, depending on how close someone is at the time a leak occurs.
Chlorine is not flammable, the CDC said, but it can react explosively or form explosive compounds with other chemicals.
No injuries were reported in yesterday’s incident.