CU wins MSC soccer title

Cumberland was completely outplayed in the first half by the Blue Raiders (15-4-1) but came away with the match tied at the half. CU looked more like the team that set a school-record for wins in the second period, more aggressive and controlling the ball, though they were not able to keep it with great regularity.

A scramble in front where Rhianne Parsons shot was deflected to Gilpin on the right side of the goalie box left the sophomore with the chance to put CU ahead and she did with a low shot just inside the post, her 15th goal of the season.

From there the Bulldogs did their best to hold off a frantic attack from LWC, who continued to pepper Kitson, but the sophomore was up to the challenge, including an eight-yard shot in front of the net by Elizabet Madjarac in the 82nd minute. Even in the final minute the Blue Raiders had two good chances, but Kitson turned away Laerke Lillelund Michaelsen and substitute Elisha Fry in the final seconds.

Lindsey Wilson outshot the Bulldogs, 26-6, including 14-2 in the second half.

The Blue Raiders were the more aggressive team really throughout the first half, holding possession and challenging Kitson almost from the opening kickoff.The Bulldogs played a ball forward and LWC goalie Josephine Frigge came 20 yards outside her box to clear it away, sending a long ball toward the top of the CU 18-yard box. The ball sailed over the head of Simone Quinn and her header went backwards to a wide-open Mia Persson, but Kitson made a great save from point-blank range in the 17th minute to keep the match scoreless.

Perrson was again denied from close range in the 22nd minute but broke through in the 27th minute on a cross that somehow managed to avoid four or five Bulldog defenders before she booted it into the side net for a 1-0 advantage.But Cumberland managed to tie the match six minutes later when Taylor Nay chipped a ball forward to Kelsey Langille, the nations leading scorer. The freshman won the challenge, crossed her defender and lofted a shot into the upper 90, far post, out of the reach of Frigge to knot the match at one.

The Bulldogs kept LWC at bay for the rest of the half and the teams were tied at intermission.