Historic Lebanon Tomorrow announces its Second Annual Historic Places Tour to be held on Sunday afternoon, Nov. 8th from 1 to 4 pm.
The tour features four homes in the Historic Downtown Lebanon area along with two churches and the City of Lebanon Museum. Tickets are $12 presale and $15 the day of the tour. Tickets are available at the Lebanon/Wilson County Chamber of Commerce, The Paper Mill on the Square and Linda Hackett Realty. Contact Kathy Adams at 330-7440 for more information.
Following are brief descriptions of the homes, churches and museum that will be featured on this year’s tour.
1. Pickett Chapel, 209 East Market Street, Lebanon, Built in 1827
Historic Pickett Chapel was built in 1827 and is the oldest brick building in Wilson County. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, the building was originally used as Pickett Chapel Methodist Church. For more than 150 years the building served as a house of ministry and worship for all races. In the late 1970s, the building became home to the Chapel Playhouse. In the years the building housed the Playhouse many theater productions were done. A descendent of Charles Dickens gave on outstanding performance of “The Christmas Carol” on the center stage of the building. The building has been vacant for many years and in 2007 the Wilson County Black History Committee purchased the Historic building in hopes of renovating it and placing the Roy Bailey African-American Museum & History Center in the facility. This year the group was successful in obtaining a Historic Preservation grant from the State of Tennessee to begin work on the restoration of Pickett Chapel.
2. First Presbyterian Church, 304 West Main Street, Lebanon, Built in 1910
Historic First Presbyterian Church will be celebrating its 100th anniversary in 2010. It is the oldest church building in Lebanon still being used for religious services. The building was authorized by the elders and trustees in 1909, and a lot was obtained on the corner of South Greenwood Street and West Main Street. Ground was broken in April 1910 and a cornerstone laid. The contractor was the Lebanon Manufacturing Co., whose bid of $19,000 was the lowest and best. The Akron Plan was suggested by architects and used. This structural plan was very popular in the United States from 1885 to 1925, and many other churches in the USA have the typical corner tower and diagonal seating in the sanctuary, with moving partitions giving maximum space for classrooms. Other outstanding features of First Presbyterian Church include the Tiffany designed sanctuary windows, the sanctuary cross and the tower bells. Dr. John T. Cheatham serves as pastor of First Presbyterian Church and the Rev. Nick Reed serves as associate pastor.
3. City of Lebanon Museum and History Center, 200 Castles Heights Ext., North, Lebanon, Started in 1997
The City of Lebanon Museum and History Center is located in the basement of the Historic Main Building of Castle Heights Military Academy. The building dates back to 1902 and now serves as the City Hall for the City of Lebanon. In 1997, Mayor Don Fox along with several local citizens created the City of Lebanon Museum and History Center. The late James Victor Miller, a local historian and Jack Cato worked with the City of Lebanon’s Sue Siens to establish the museum as a “time-line” museum. The museum honors Lebanon’s past by presenting artifacts both belonging to the museum and pieces that are on loan from local residents.
4. The Bone Family Home, 116 Greenlawn Drive, Lebanon, Built in 1955
Sam Stratton Bone Sr. was one of five developers of Greenlawn Drive. He and Margaret Talley Bone built the home at 116 Greenlawn in 1955. Their three sons, Dr. Robert Carver Bone, Sam Stratton Bone Jr. and Harold Gordon Bone Sr., lived in the home during various years. For more than 30 years, Mrs. Bone prepared lunch for the family of 15 every Sunday. The rock used for the foundation and window seals was taken from Mr. O. Lee Harris' home on West Main Street. The upstairs banister is from the Tarver House on East Main Street. Sam and Margaret Bone passed in 1998 and 1999, respectively. Their granddaughter, Margaret Suanne Bone, moved into the home in March of 2000. The only structural change to the original home has been the addition of the master bath and back hallway by her brother, Hal Bone.
5. The Jett Family Home, 206 South Tarver Ave., Lebanon, Built in 2008
The Craftsman Style homes were popular from the 1890s to the 1930s. They take us back to a simpler time with deep porches on the front, warm colors and detailed woodwork, all essential elements for this style. Built in 2008, the Jett’s wanted a home that would fit into the beautiful historic Cumberland neighborhood. By consulting books and magazines they had an architect draw their ideas adding special touches that make this home unique. Most of the doorknobs and lighting fixtures were purchased and used to create the feeling of an old home. The Craftsman Style home was built by Jack Bell Builders. The Jett’s home is built on the site of the original home of the Scott McClain family. The McClains were early settlers in Lebanon and Wilson County. The McClain home was built in 1911 and stood until the late 1970s. The house sustained damage due to frozen water pipes and was torn down. The home built by the Jett’s is a bungalow similar to the original structure build by the McClains.
6. The McClain House/The Climer Family Home, 210 South Tarver Ave., Lebanon, Built in 1913
This lovely Arts and Crafts style bungalow is the home of Pat Climer. The house was built by Neal McClain who co-founded the McClain and Smith clothing store. Renovations were made in 1988-1989, with minor renovations completed in 2008 and 2009. Most of the house is in its original state, with the exception of the cabinets in the kitchen and sun porch which are exact replicas of those located in the butler’s pantry. Original oak floors downstairs and pine floors upstairs were refinished, and the original stain was matched. The downstairs bathroom still has its turn-or-the-century fixtures. The claw foot tub, which was made in Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1911, has been reglazed. The fireplace tiles are original, with the exception of five which were hand-painted by artist Kathy Eckler. Other original details to note are the beamed ceilings in the living room and dining room, the oak woodwork and the unusual chain at the foot of the staircase which was originally used to open the old heating dampers. Also unique to a home of this period are the five walk-in closets upstairs and an above ground basement that includes a potato cellar.
7. The Winstead Paine Bone House/Home of the President of Cumberland University, 516 West Spring Street, Lebanon, Built in 1955
The House was built in 1955 by Winstead Paine Bone Jr., a graduate and loyal supporter of Cumberland University .He was the son of Dr. Winstead Pain Bone, the sixth President of Cumberland University (1909-1914). The home was designed by prominent Nashville architect Clinton Parrent.
The House was given to Cumberland University by Mary Gordon and Winstead Paine Bone, Jr.’s children, Mary Ann Bone Denney, Nancy Gone Scott and W.P. Bone III. Cumberland’s president, Dr. Harvill C. Eaton and his wife, Lois, currently enjoy living and entertaining in this gracious Lebanon home.