How good is CU's Wilkerson?
Cumberland won Saturday's nightcap 9-2 and improved to 23-11 on the season. Coach Woody Hint's team hosts Georgetown (KY) Wednesday in a 12 Noon doubleheader before TranSouth Conference foe Union (TN) comes to town Friday to start a 3-game series.
* Wash your car or hold the Wilson County Invitational Baseball Tournament. Either way, you're asking for rain. The wet stuff has wreked havoc with the tournament again this season. Coaches were forced to eliminate the single-elimination portion of the tournament, hoping to get everyone three games in pool play.
* Saw Wilson Central play Thursday vs. Ravenwood. There's not a better set of concrete dugouts in Middle Tennessee than the ones at WCHS. Kudos to the Wildcat extended family for their hard work. The new inning by inning scoreboard was in place Thursday, replacing the one that was lost in the tornado.
* Got up early Saturday morning to help my youngest sons' 11U travel baseball team put on a slo-pitch co-ed tournament at TXR. Robert Davis runs the on-the-field operations and has put in a ton of work over the past six years. Nearly 200 people play in various leagues at TXR. Robert is a classy, dedicated man.
* Former CU catcher Mike Wheeler was scheduled to umpire Wednesday night at Veterans Field in the WCIT, but was rained out. Another CU connection was in BLUE Friday as Cumberland Sports Information Director JoJo Freeman worked the bases in Lebanon's win over Hume Fogg.
* Speaking of JoJo. For the absolute latest in all things BULLDOG -- go to www.gocumberlandathletics.com. Big league website for an NAIA program.
* Congratulations to former LHS football coach Bobby Brown who last week was officially named assistant principal at Baird Junior High. He'll work under Principal Pam Sampson.
That's all this time. FEEDBACK -- firstname.lastname@example.org