MJ home struck by truck, suspects in custody

From Post staff reports

MJ home struck by truck, suspects in custody | Mt. Juliet, robbery, FDMJ

Jason Goode, left, and Christopher Guess

Two suspects are in custody, facing charges after reportedly backing their truck into a home after allegedly attempting to burglarize a home in Mt. Juliet on Wednesday.

Suspect Jason Good, 39, of Mt. Juliet, was apprehended by Mt. Juliet Police around 10 a.m., Thursday. The other suspect, Christopher Guess, 22, of Portland, turned himself at the Mt. Juliet Police Department about 7 p.m., Wednesday, where he was arrested and charged with Leaving the Scene of an Accident and Failure to Report an Accident.

Goode was charged with Leaving the Scene of An Accident, Failure to Report and Accident, Felony Vandalism, Theft, and Driving on a Revoked Driver’s License.

The two men were suspected of attempting to burglarize a home under construction about 12:30 p.m., Wednesday, when a nearby homeowner “spooked” them. They fled the scene in a silver 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab pickup truck.

The driver reportedly put the truck in reverse, lost control and caused a trail of damage. The truck struck two mailboxes and a fire hydrant, destroying all of them, and also struck a home where the homeowner was inside at the time. The homeowner was not injured.

As the home that was struck by the vehicle was damaged, the Fire Department of Mt. Juliet (FDMJ) and building inspectors responded to the scene to check its structural integrity, and they declared the home unsafe.

So that the homeowner was not forced to move out, the FDMJ worked to make temporary repairs to the home to make it safe. Lumber and supplies were brought to the scene by Mt. Juliet’s volunteer firefighters so the work could be completed.

“I’m thankful for our strong working relationship with local media partners. Their service to our community is invaluable. They were able to relay the information on our suspects quickly, which motivated one of them to turn himself in to authorities,” said Police Chief James Hambrick. “In addition, I’m proud of our investigators who quickly pursued leads in this case to ensure it was resolved quickly.”

An earlier version of this story appeared online Wednesday at www.wilsonpost.com on Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2013.