|This holiday season, ‘Give Something That Means Something’ with the Red Cross|
|Wednesday, December 5, 2012|
Holiday shopping can be stressful, but picking out the perfect gift doesn’t have to be that hard.
The American Red Cross asks donors to “Give Something That Means Something”this season and be entered for a chance to win a $1,000 gift card useable toward gas, rent, food or a post-holiday getaway.
Present to donate blood or platelets during the “Give Something That Means Something” promotion now through Dec. 31 for your chance to win a $1,000 American Express gift card.
“Donating blood is an opportunity for people to give the most important gift of all, the ‘Gift of Life,’” said Tim Ryerson, chief executive officer, American Red Cross, Tennessee Valley Blood Services Region. “The Red Cross depends on the generosity of our donors to be able to meet the needs of patients in our area and across the country.”
The Red Cross Tennessee Valley Blood Services Region provides lifesaving blood to patients in about 60 hospitals. Approximately 600 people need to give blood or platelets each week day to meet hospital demands.
Blood can be safely donated every 56 days. Platelets can be given every seven days, up to 24 times a year. Most healthy people who are 17 years of age (or 16 with parental consent) and weigh at least 110 pounds are eligible to donate blood or platelets to the Red Cross. Donors who are 18 years and younger must also meet specific height and weight requirements.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities in Wilson County are as follows:
· Thursday, Dec. 6, from 12:30 until 5:30 p.m., Immanuel Baptist Church, 214 Castle Heights Ave., Lebanon
· Friday, Dec. 7, from noon until 4 p.m., Sports Village-Aerobic Studio, 1735 West Main Street, Lebanon
· Monday, Dec. 17, from 12:30 until 5:30 p.m., Faith Lutheran Church, 1655 West Main Street, Lebanon
· Tuesday, Dec. 18, from 2 until 6 p.m., Kroger Providence, 401 South Mt. Juliet Road, Mt. Juliet
· Thursday, Dec. 27, from 11 a.m. until 5 p.m., Mt. Juliet Community Center, 1075 Charlie Daniels Pkwy., Mt. Juliet
For more information or to schedule an appointment to donate, call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) or visit redcrossblood.org.