Wilson County Black History Committee oversees the Roy Bailey African American Museum and History Center, which is sponsoring the event.
The plaque presentation and garden dedication celebration will be held from 9 a.m. noon, May 19, and the public is invited. There is no charge for admission, but donations are appreciated. Funds raised go toward the restoration of the historic building.
The building that housed Pickett Chapel was built in 1827 and is the oldest brick building in Lebanon. Pickett Chapel Methodist Church, established in 1866, was the first church for Blacks in the city, and throughout the years became a major factor in the formation of the community. The church remained active until 1973, when members moved to a new building, which was named Pickett Rucker United Methodist Church. For several years, until 2001, the historic building on East Market Street was home to the Pickett Players, a local theater company.
Wilson County Black History Committee purchased the building in 2007. After renovation, it will become the committees headquarters and the site of the Roy Bailey African American History Center, and a resource for the entire community.
For more information, call 739-2283 or 754-6742.