Shootings were 'senseless acts of violence'
By SABRINA GARRETT
Lebanon Police Chief Scott Bowen called the two shootings that took place at the hands of 27-year-old Michael Starks on Thursday evening senseless acts of violence. According to Bowen, officers are still investigating Starks motive behind the first shooting that took the life of Desmine Watts.
We do know that the shooter was also involved in a 2005 shooting in Upton Heights. Later he pled guilty to aggravated assault so this was not his first rodeo. As far as a motive for this shooting - we are still looking into it. Right now we are trying to figure out why any of it happened, Bowen said. It was unfortunate that this gentleman (Watts) lost his life.
Officers responded to the call at 326 South Maple Street in Lebanon on Thursday at 4 p.m. They found the victim, Watts, had suffered from multiple gunshot wounds. The 21-year-old man was transported to University Medical Center by Wilson Emergency Management Agency; however, he was pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Officers believe the shooting took place on the front porch 326 South Maple, where Starks resided.
Just thirty minutes after LPD responded to the call, the Mt. Juliet Police responded to a 911 call. A traveler on Interstate 40 westbound said their vehicle had been shot, near the 225 mile marker. The vehicle contained three adults and two children none of which were harmed during the incident.
Investigators confirmed that Starks was responsible for both shootings. He was charged with five counts of aggravated assault and five counts of reckless endangerment, according to Sgt. Tyler Chandler with MJPD. He is in jail, and his total bond on our charges is $1,000,000.
Starks was also charged with criminal homicide for the Lebanon shooting.