Skies open up
Sgt. Tyler Chandler, public information officer with Mt. Juliet Police Department, said phone calls started coming in about 6:30 Thursday morning from citizens reporting high water as creeks and streams were overflowing their banks.Its amazing how quickly it can rise, he noted.
MJ Police, along with assistance from Wilson County Emergency Management Agencys Swift Water Rescue Team, responded to call from an elderly couple at 3005 West Division Street near the Wilson-Davidson County line, he said.SWR team members and regular WEMA shift crews remained active Thursday, also performing a water rescue at 271 Green Hill Road, said John Jewell, director of WEMA.
The high water forced the closure for a time of Curd Road near Mt. Juliet High School as students and faculty were set to begin arriving on campus. In addition, Chandler said, the road that leads to Stoner Creek Elementary School in Mt. Juliet, which runs to the side and behind West Wilson Middle School was also closed where the bridge there crosses over the creek.Chandler said there were people at the school, but no one else could get in or out of the site until the water receded.Some school buses were delayed because of the high water, and some students arrived late for class, but all reportedly made it to schools without incident, said Dr. Tim Setterlund, director of Wilson County Schools.A voice message and email was sent out Thursday morning by Wilson County Schools informing parents and others that bus drivers were using their discretion regarding pick-up of children due to the situation. Elsewhere, one vehicle was found trapped in water at the intersection of Beckwith Road and Leeville Pike, but no one was found inside, Chandler and Jewell noted.Chandler said that numerous roadways were closed and those that were impassable on Thursday included Lebanon Road at the county line, Old Lebanon Dirt Road, East Division Street, Southeast Springdale where a vehicle stalled, Sunnymeade and the entrance to Willow Creek Apartments.
There were several other things, Jewell said. On South Cairo Bend we had water over the road, there was an automobile accident in front of Red Robin Restaurant in Mt. Juliet.
He added, None of these rescues are like what you see on television where the water is rising and people are clinging to their belongings. A lot of these situations were handled by our regular shift crews, Jewell said.
Also in Mt. Juliet, portions of the Little League ball park on Highway 70 were under water Cedar Creek runs next to the facility on its eastern side and the creek also flooded a portion of York Road, cutting off access for residents.
In addition, the Valley Center shopping center was affected.
Chandler noted that all the usual low spots in the Mt. Juliet area were affected, but the runoff from yesterdays storms also caused roads that are generally not affected to be covered with high water.
Public Works crews in Mt. Juliet were out checking roadways, and traffic cones were placed at a number of locations to block traffic until the water receded.
Lebanon Police Chief Scott Bowen said the city had no problems with flooding and no roads had to be blocked. The main problem, he said, was runoff water on the roadways.
Through 8 a.m., Thursday, rainfall amounts ranged from 3.96 inches in the northwest portion of Wilson County to 2.62 inches near the Mt. Juliet area, according to the website at the National Weather Service Office in Old Hickory.
Wilson County was under a Flash Flood Warning until 3 p.m., yesterday, as additional storms with heavy rainfall were expected to move through the area.
More rain is in the forecast with a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms likely Friday and a 50 percent chance on Friday night. There is a 60 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms on Saturday, and a 40 percent chance on Sunday.
Stay tuned to commercial TV and radio, NOAA Weather Radio, the Internet or social media for the latest weather updates.
If you find a roadway covered with water, remember, Turn Around, Dont Drown.
Editor Jennifer Horton may be contacted at email@example.com.Staff Writer Sabrina Garrett may be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.