Wildcats 28, Overton 27 --

NASHVILLE -- Wilson Central stopped a two-point conversion try with no time left on the clock to escape Overton High with a 28-27 victory over the Bobcats Friday.

The Wildcats came into the clash with Overton on a high, following a dominating performance against Springfield last week and Overton was reeling in the wake of a 45-7 loss to Pope John Paul II.

But this week, neither of those narratives would play out.

Wilson Central coach Brad Dedman knew this game would be much tougher.

“Every game that we’ve played them in the last couple years, it’s been close,” Dedman said. “We expected no different tonight.”

Rushing touchdowns from both teams made the score 7-7 in the second quarter.

An high snap on an Overton punt was recovered by Wilson Central in the end zone to cap the scoring in the first half at 14-7.

The Wildcats scored their third unanswered touchdown early in the third with junior Zavier Ali’s second TD to push the score to 21-7.

The Bobcats responded. Senior quarterback Dawayne Jackson found Cory Beal for a touchdown pass later in the third.

In the fourth quarter, Overton’s defense made two huge stops in the red zone, forcing the Wildcats to kick field goals, both of which were missed.

With the game still within one score, Jackson hit Senior Michael Martin on a 66-yard touchdown pass to tie the game at 21 with 3:06 remaining in the contest.

Neither offense had been moving quickly, but Wilson Central managed to drive the ball down the field to set up Ali’s third rushing touchdown.

That score gave the Wildcats a seven-point lead with just 1:02 remaining.

Overton had no timeouts and little time but pieced together a screen play with a couple of medium throws to set up one final play with six seconds left.

Jackson rolled to the right and tossed the ball up for Robert Corbin who went up for it with two Wildcats. The ball was batted up and landed in Corbin’s hands who fell into the end zone for a touchdown with no time remaining.

Overton Coach Peeples sent his extra point team out for the tie, but Wildcats coach Brad Dedman called a timeout to freeze the kicker.

This caused Peeples to change course, sending his offense out for a potential game-winning two-point conversion.

Jackson rolled to his right and was forced into a tough throw to Immanuel Brown in the end zone. The coverage was there, and the ball fell to the ground.

Dedman said, “Luckily we had some people out there for the boot pass and knocked the ball down.”

“We were confident in what we called,” Peeples said. ”We still feel we made the right decision there at the end. We’re at home. We knew how much it meant to these guys to win this ballgame. That’s what we were coming to do, to win.”

For the second game of the year, emotions were high. The coaches were thrilled with their players’ effort.

“We gotta figure out how to win football games,” Dedman said. “We’re learning. We’re getting there. Tonight is a testament to that.”

The Wildcats take their momentum and 2-0 record to Rossview next week.

Recommended for you